Freight Broker Software – How to Evaluate
As a freight broker, you face variables on both ends of your business: finding customers and reliable carriers. So, to be successful, you need a firm grip on the elements of the operations you can control.
Managing cash flow is a primary concern when operating a freight brokerage. Paying suppliers and keeping AR in check can take time, resources, and therefore – a lot money. Cash flow management can make or break your freight brokerage – so finding a TMS that makes keeping track of your receivables and paying carriers easy is important.
What to look for in your Freight Broker Software
While varying factors will influence exactly which features are most important for a given freight brokerage, the most common or popular attributes of freight software include:
- Dispatch Management
- Customer Database
- Customer Quote Generation
- Customer Portal
- Carrier Management
- Carrier Portal
- Accounts Payable / Accounts Receivable Modules
- Trip logs
Depending on what features matter most to your business, there are a number of platforms and software applications available. Compare Tailwind TMS software tiers here and find the right option for your brokerage.
In addition to TMS features, it’s important to evaluate just how you’ll be able to get your new freight broker software adopted in your business. So you’ll also want to consider:
- Software delivery: How exactly do you access your software? Do you have to be in the office, or can you login to it from any location? Tailwind freight broker software is completely web-based, so you can access it from the office, from home, or from where-ever you need to be.And there’s no need for expensive servers, hardware, or even IT staff to set it up. For a bit of fun – check out our Frequently NOT Asked Questions to learn how Tailwind makes our software easy to access.
- Support: What kind of support is available and how accessible is the customer success team? Your team will invariably have questions come up when using a new TMS – and Tailwind customer Success Team is available to them through in-app chat, email and phone – 24/7 in case of emergencies.
- Integrations: Will your software integrate with your accounting platform? What about the Load Boards you use? The more places you and your staff need to go for information, the higher the risk of missed data or insight. Tailwind integrates with many leading freight technology and is adding more every few months. We also have an open API in the Enterprise tier.